BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mkeintz
PROC Star

If I understand your spec's correctly you have 1.25TB of available storage in which you want to store and use some number of SAS datasets the you say adds up to 1TB.  

Depending on what you want to do with the datasets, you might run out of disk space.  Say one of the datasets is .2TB, and you want to sort it.  That process, at some point, would need about .2TB for intermediate sort utility files, and .2TB for the new sorted dataset prior to deleting the intermediates.   I.e. you could easily have a point at which you require 1.4TB. 

Aside from sorting issues, in the case of many SAS programs, users often generate lots of temporary sas datasets (in the work libname, if nowhere else), over the course of a multi-step program.  I can easily see the possibility of running into disk space limitations without conducting more than casual housekeeping. 

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
makset
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm a bit sorry because you're focusing on what's the least important (but I understand it's important). I still don't have 1TB of data, but soon. I will just buy the next nvme.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@makset  - If we are giving you the wrong answers it is because you haven't fully explained what your problem is. You've listed your PC hardware and explained the size of data you have but you haven't said anything about what you want to do with it. Until you explain what data processing you want to do then we can't provide better advice. BTW hashing isn't a magic wand to improve all types of processing performance. 

Processing 1TB of data on a PC with SAS is entirely possible and many PC SAS users have bigger data volumes. As already explained you will probably need at least 2 or 3TB of free space for further processing as well as 1TB just for your source files. How much extra depends on what type of processing you want to do.  

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation