BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dapenDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello. My data-set has more than 1 million observations and I would like to export it as excel file. However, the number of observation has beyond the maximum rows for excel. I think I should split the large dataset into 2 parts. What code do I need to use? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Use the mod() function to create a variable that can be used to split your data set. Say you want three. 

Data want1 want2 want3:

set have;

group = mod(_n_, 3);

if group = 0 then output want1;

else if group =1 then output want2;

else if group =2 then output want3;

run; 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

why not export as CSV file?

dapenDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

I need to open that file in excel. Even though I export as csv file, it still cannot be shown completely if I open it in excel. Is it correct?

ballardw
Super User

@dapenDaniel wrote:

I need to open that file in excel. Even though I export as csv file, it still cannot be shown completely if I open it in excel. Is it correct?

Why do you need to open it in Excel?

Is someone going to scroll through 1 million plus lines of data?

If the purpose is to transfer data to another program/system how does the receiving program know that it needs to pull data from 2 or more sheets?

Reeza
Super User

Use the mod() function to create a variable that can be used to split your data set. Say you want three. 

Data want1 want2 want3:

set have;

group = mod(_n_, 3);

if group = 0 then output want1;

else if group =1 then output want2;

else if group =2 then output want3;

run; 

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @dapenDaniel,

With two modifications to Reeza's code you can achieve a partition into three blocks of consecutive observations of dataset HAVE (upper third, middle third and lower third):

set have nobs=n;
group = int(3*(_n_-1)/n)

dapenDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation