p2=rand('integer', n2); 
			set lastnames nobs=n2 point=p2;
			p3=rand('integer', n3); 
			set cities nobs=n3 point=p3; 
			r=ranuni(31416); 
			output;
		end;
        run; 

So, I tired running the following modified code. I modified the code because the original code gave me an output data set with 2 million obs and all my variables, but my first_name column had the same value repeating. It turned out to be the first value in the firstnames input dataset. In order to get random values in all my columns i ran the following code, but SAS was not able to fully execute because of insufficent data. It turned out that it stopped processing after 4 million + obs instead of stopping at 2 million. If anyone could offer a possible solution. Thank you!

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

You need a STOP statement between END; and RUN;  All of the data access is now with POINT and there if end-of-file set when reading with POINT as you usually have with regular set.  See documentation for exact details.  In other words the implied data step loop has not way to stop itself.

@juanvenegas wrote:
	data want;
		call streaminit(27182818);
		do _n_=1 to 1000; 
			p1=rand('integer',n1); 
			set firstnames nobs=n1 point=p1; 
			p2=rand('integer', n2); 
			p3=rand('integer', n3); 
			r=ranuni(31416); 
			output;
		end;
        run; 

So, I tired running the following modified code. I modified the code because the original code gave me an output data set with 2 million obs and all my variables, but my first_name column had the same value repeating. It turned out to be the first value in the firstnames input dataset. In order to get random values in all my columns i ran the following code, but SAS was not able to fully execute because of insufficent data. It turned out that it stopped processing after 4 million + obs instead of stopping at 2 million. If anyone could offer a possible solution. Thank you!

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@juanvenegas wrote:

I modified the code because the original code gave me an output data set with 2 million obs and all my variables, but my first_name column had the same value repeating. It turned out to be the first value in the firstnames input dataset.

Is it possible that you were misled by looking at only the first few observations before sorting by random number r? In this case, indeed, you'd have seen the first first name multiple times (in fact 1000 times with the do _n_=1 to 1000 loop) -- but this is correct because the 1001th through 2000th obs. would contain the second first name and so on until the 1,999,001th through 2,000,000th obs. with the 2000th first name (hence all first names used, as intended: 2000 first names, each with 1000 observations). The random sort order would be achieved by the final PROC SORT step (BY r).

juanvenegas
Fluorite | Level 6

this is possible. I only scrolled through the first couple hundred obs. 

juanvenegas
Fluorite | Level 6
	data want;
		call streaminit(27182818);
		set firstnames; 
		do _n_=1 to 1000; 
			p1=rand('integer',n1); 
			set firstnames nobs=n1 point=p1; 
			p2=rand('integer', n2); 
			p3=rand('integer', n3); 

output;
			end;
		run; 

This worked!!! Thanks everyone!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation