BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
greesamu
Obsidian | Level 7

In running a nested logit with proc MDC, the seemingly valid statements for "Utility" and "Nest" are red. The model runs, but the Hessian Matrix is Singular and all estimates are 1E-6. Code below:

proc mdc data=fullcanceronly;

class RUC sex_new agecat_new_cat race_new_cat anydual_cat state_q zpmed_cat zpcol_cat year_of_diagnosis

stage cancertype prior_hist;

model actual = RUC sex_new agecat_new_cat race_new_cat anydual_cat state_q zpmed_cat zpcol_cat year_of_diagnosis

stage cancertype prior_hist /

type=nlogit

choice=(FFS_MC_CHANGE);

id unique_ID;

utility u(1, ) = RUC sex_new agecat_new_cat race_new_cat anydual_cat state_q zpmed_cat zpcol_cat year_of_diagnosis

stage cancertype prior_hist;

nest level(1) = (1 2 @ 1, 3 4 @ 2),

level(2) = (1 2 @ 1);

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If you are using the DISPLAY MANAGER, the last time I looked SAS supplies 4 different schemes for the enhanced editor to use to set things like font, font weight, font size, font color. So "red" meaning depends on which theme is set. If you have modified a scheme  or if you have a custom theme (I know I do) then could be quite a bit different.

Also note that someone can specify user defined keywords to display different for what ever reason suits their fancy. So "color" alone is not that critical. Logs are typically much more revealing when it comes to code behavior than the highlighting in the editor.

SAS over time has gone through periods where they added so many features to the code that whoever was responsible for making the enhanced editor displays couldn't keep up so you get things that appear to be "undefined keywords".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In Enterprise Guide 8.4 there is no red:

SASKiwi_0-1723432894814.png

What developer interface and version are you using? Red typically only identifies incorrect syntax. If your program runs without error then your syntax is most likely OK. Unexpected statistics could result from inappropriate modelling and / or underlying data issues. These are best progressed via Tech Support. 

ballardw
Super User

If you are using the DISPLAY MANAGER, the last time I looked SAS supplies 4 different schemes for the enhanced editor to use to set things like font, font weight, font size, font color. So "red" meaning depends on which theme is set. If you have modified a scheme  or if you have a custom theme (I know I do) then could be quite a bit different.

Also note that someone can specify user defined keywords to display different for what ever reason suits their fancy. So "color" alone is not that critical. Logs are typically much more revealing when it comes to code behavior than the highlighting in the editor.

SAS over time has gone through periods where they added so many features to the code that whoever was responsible for making the enhanced editor displays couldn't keep up so you get things that appear to be "undefined keywords".

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation