BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @Reeza . It worked and served my purpose now.   I informed the upper level about this issue  since its from a vendor.  From this post I came to learn extend ( new option) and how to deal with these kind of Issues. Thanks to you all. special mentions to @Reeza @SASKiwi  @Kurt_Bremser @Tom  for you time on this issue

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You cannot use hyphen in a dataset name.

Example:

456  options validmemname=extend;
NOTE: Windowing environment support for VALIDMEMNAME=EXTEND is limited to Editor, Log, and Output windows.
457  data "test-name"n ;
458    x=1;
459  run;

ERROR: The value TEST-NAME is not a valid SAS member name.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.01 seconds
      cpu time            0.00 seconds

Reprimand the fool that created the file.

Rename or copy the file to one with a valid name and then SAS will be able to use it.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Tom - I should have read the documentation for EXTEND a bit closer - see below.

@SASuserlot  - I believe your offending dataset is on your local PC drive. If so just go into Windows Explorer, make a copy of the dataset file, then rename it and remove the hyphen. I can only assume the producer of the file has renamed it manually like this as you can't create a dataset containing a hyphen in the name in SAS itself.

EXTEND

specifies that a SAS data set name, a SAS data view name, or an item store name must follow these rules:

• Names can include national characters.
  • The name can include special characters, except for the / \ * ? " < > |: -. characters

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation