BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed

In large enterprise organizations, it would be beneficial to be able to hide, or make visible, folders from the SAS server files that are mounted from the Studio Explorer pane based on the groups the users are in.

See Case: CS0115567 for the original support question and example.

4 Comments
Alexey_Vodilin
SAS Employee
Status changed to: Suggestion Closed

SAS Studio displays files and folders from file system according to file system permissisons that are controlled on operating system (OS). If certain files or folders should be hidden it should be done on operating system / file system level. It would probably be good to discuss it with an administrator of your environment.

bmcclelland
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Alexey.   From what we have seen your statement is not true, which seems to be corroborated by the response to my initial support case.  I am an administrator of our environment.  We have many folders created on the OS (Linux in this case) that are associated to many different AD groups.  Any user can see ALL of those folders in SAS Studio.  If they are not a member of the AD group associated to a given folder, they get an error if they try to open it in SAS Studio, but the folder itself is always visible for them to try to open.   Our request is the make those folders literally disappear from view if a user is not a member of the group.  If there is a way to do that which is documented, can you please point me to that documentation?

Tom
Super User
Super User

That is not how Unix works.  If they have permission to read the parent directory then they can see the name of the child directory.  If they do not have permission to read the read the child directory then attempts to see what is in it will fail.

Are you asking SAS to modify SAS/Studio to hide directories where the user does not have read permission? Note that would take a lot of individual function calls to implement since each users access is different.  They might have access because they are the owner.  Or because the world is allowed to read.  Or they might have access because they are a member of the group assigned to the directory and the group as read access.  Or that might have permission via file access control list  (FACL) settings.

bmcclelland
Fluorite | Level 6

"Are you asking SAS to modify SAS/Studio to hide directories where the user does not have read permission? "   Yes, that is exactly what we are asking.

However, that does not mean it needs to be implemented based on the Unix permissions.  Those same AD groups are pulled into Viya and can be used for granting permissions to compute contexts, etc.  It would be nice if we could hide the folders in SAS Studio based on those AD groups, or even based on compute context.  I have heard there are ways to hide compute contexts from the dropdown (although we haven't gotten that far yet).  The goal of this request is to have something similar implemented for the folder structures under SAS Server inside SAS Studio.