BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NWV
Calcite | Level 5 NWV
Calcite | Level 5

Haikuo and PGStats, thank you, you both were very close to what I needed.  Haikuo--I like that I was able to use yours without defining the lengths ahead of time--although I am still checking to make sure there was no truncation due to something I missed.  And it is a little frustrating to have to essentially take this long variable out of the dataset, parse it, and transpose it, and join it back to the original dataset.  But it is possible, since I have a unique ID to transpose by.

Astounding......I am intrigued by your option, and I will see if I can apply at least the first part.  I had tried assigning a macro variable via call symput (using a countc of ; and : ) and applying that to the array statement, but SAS was pretty insistent that I could not use the macro variable in setting up the array---but it may have been the way I was applying it. The lengths of the numeric parts don't matter (as long as the entire number comes in), in the end I will be inputing them to numeric variables.  And the character variables need to be large enough to accommodate whatever text ends up being pieced into them--so as dynamic as possible.  And yes, I want the data to appear as in the diagram--simply var1-varx, with the text followed by the number.  This has to do with the type of analysis that it will be used for down the road--a job exposure matrix, where we need the department and time spent on one line associated with a specific employee.

Thank you all!!!!!

slchen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

data have(keep=var);

infile cards truncover dlm=';:';

input (temp1-temp100)($);

array temp temp:;

do i=1 to 100;

var=temp(i);

if not missing(var) then output;

else leave;

end;

cards4;

aaaaaaa:10;bbbbbbbbb:12;ccccccccccccc:2;jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjk:40;

xxxxxx:23;ghghghghghghghghghgh:10;

;;;;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you want to know how many departments and the maximum length of any department's name then you can just count.

data have ;

input str $80. ;

card4;

aaaaaaa:10;bbbbbbbbb:12;ccccccccccccc:2;jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjk:40;

xxxxxx:23;ghghghghghghghghghgh:10;

;;;;

data _null_;

set have end=eof ;

retain nvar 0 len 0;

nvar=max(nvar,countw(str,';')-1);

do i=1 to countw(str,';')-1;

len=max(len,length(scan(scan(str,i,';'),1,':')));

end;

if eof then call symputx('nvar',nvar);

if eof then call symputx('len',len);

run;

data want ;

set have ;

array dept (&nvar) $&len ;

array hours (&nvar) ;

do _n_=1 to countw(str,';')-1;

dept(_n_)=scan(scan(str,_n_,';'),1,':');

hours(_n_)=input(scan(scan(str,_n_,';'),2,':'),32.);

end;

drop str;

run;

proc print;

run;

NWV
Calcite | Level 5 NWV
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom, that is some helpful code as well.  I will save it, along with the other, in case they decide they want to display the data as department1-departmentN and hours1-hoursN.  Right now they want it as field1-fieldN with the department in the first one and the hours in the next.  Your code also clarifies the use of call symputx--I had at first tried call symput, but then when I tried to use that as a parameter in the array, SAS gave me an error message.  Thanks again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 7 in conversation