fmtname = '$disposition';

start = Disp_Code;
     label = Disp_Code_Desc;

keep start label fmtname;
run;

proc sort data=disp nodupkey;
     by start;
run;

I am not well-versed on formats that much. I get the gist but when I look at this I'm a bit lost on what exactly this means. Thank you, any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

It appears that the data set is intended to be used with the CNTLIN option of Proc Format to create a format named DISPOSITION for use with character values.

The structure of a CNTLIN data set requires certain variables, minimum is the name of the format which must be in a variable named FMTNAME, Start as the value and Label as the text to display instead of the value of Start.

There are other variables to indicate other properties set as options.

If you know how to write small custom format you could use the CNTLOUT= option on proc format to create a data set that describes the format(s). That may help understand a bit better what the variables must look like.

The Sort is not needed and could actually be improper if the set had more than one value of FMTNAME as the Format procedure would expect all of the lines for a single format to be together in the data set. The NODUPEKEY is there to prevent errors of multiple observations with the same Start value. Again proc format except for very specific purposes expects to see values in the Start (or End if a range of numeric values is used) only once.

I would expect to see something like this to actually create the format for use:

Proc format <library=somelib> cntlin=disp;
run;

This would be similar to writing a Proc format value statement like this:

Proc format;
Value $disposition
'01' = 'Meaning for code 01'
'02' = 'Meaning for code 02'
;
run;

The '01' '02' are the START values. The 'Meaning for code' text are the values of LABEL and $disposition is the FMTNAME value.

bhca60
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you!
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

You have code to create a PROC FORMAT CNLTLIN= data set.

To create the character value label format $DISPOSITION using this data you need to this.

proc format CNTLIN=disp;
   quit;

The you would be able to use $disposition. in a format statement or PUT function.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What part do you not understand?

The SAS code you shared?

The DATA step is making a new dataset from an old dataset.  The dataset it is making can be used to create a FORMAT.

The PROC SORT step is to order the observations and make sure the same START value does not appear more than once.

How to convert that dataset into a format?

Use PROC FORMAT with the CNTLIN= option.

proc format cntlin=disp;
run;

What a FORMAT does?

Formats are used to convert values into text.  In this case the values are character strings up to two bytes long.  Your dataset can be used to make a format named $DISPOSITION that converts values that match the values of DISP_CODE into text strings of the corresponding value of DISP_CODE_DESC.

How to use a FORMAT?

You would use the $DISPOSTION format with any variable that has the same set of 2 letter codes that was in your dataset so that they are printed/displayed/converted to text.  Say you have a dataset named EVENTS that had a variable named EVENT_DISP that was using those same 2 letter codes.  You could then get a summary of how many events ended with each disposition code using a step like this:

proc freq data=events;
  tables event_disp;
  format event_disp $disposition. ;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation