BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Reeza
Super User
Without seeing the query it's kind of hard to say. Can you make some sample data that replicates your issue.

Otherwise my recommendation would be to switch to some form of a data step and use BY group processing to get the max/min.
tugtrog
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for the reply, I just posted a code.
Reeza
Super User
Is it possible that coupled with the other conditions that you omit all records for some groups? Or that they're mutually exclusive in some manner?

My guess it would be O_TS=MIN and M_TS=Max() maybe never happens together?
tugtrog
Fluorite | Level 6
So whats actually happening here is, There are 2 different sub queries, one selects MIN and the other selects MAX. So it should just select the MIN and then the MAX separately. Regardless of the other one. I get the correct values for almost all of the rows, this is just an example of one of the rows where it returned a MIN value and no MAX value. and the MIN will work in both but the MAX will not work in either sub query.

I hope that's clear
Reeza
Super User
Sounds to me like you have an edge case in your data that I again suspect you're losing with one of your other filters. Try removing them and see if you get results. It would definitely help to provide some sample data, especially for those edge cases.
tugtrog
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks a lot for you help, I think you are right and I am going to have to look deeper into it. I thought it might just be something I was overlooking. I appreciate your help.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You should post data for one of the problem cases so that we can help you debug.

You can cut down your code (and data) to just what is needed to show your issue.  

For example we don't need to see all of the variables you are selecting to see what your basic logic is.

Your description of the logic doesn't seem to match what the code is doing.

You said you where taking the MIN() and MAX(), but there are no MIN() or MAX() functions in the values you are selecting.

Instead you are using MIN() and MAX() in a HAVING clause.  One side effect of that is that your result set could have multiple observations due to ties.  So if the MAX(time) is '17:00't and there are three observations with that time then three observations will be selected. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 16 likes
  • 5 in conversation