BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
armoore
Fluorite | Level 6
For my understanding, I will not be able to use a libname statement to create a library name in SAS Studio. Unless I manually upload it into SAS Studio?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@armoore wrote:
For my understanding, I will not be able to use a libname statement to create a library name in SAS Studio. Unless I manually upload it into SAS Studio?

SAS/Studio is just a browser based user interface to SAS.  SAS itself is running on some machine. So for SAS to access data (to read or write) then that machine needs to be able to access the location where the file exists.

Assuming that what you really mean is whether you can access a file that exists on your PC from your SAS session then YES you need to make the file available on the machine where SAS is running.  

A libname statement is a piece of SAS code that you use to create a libref (1 to 8 character name) that points to the where the data lives.  So you don't upload a LIBNAME statement.  You type it into your program and run it.  If you want to access data that is not currently on the machine where SAS is running then you need to do something to get SAS access to the data. There is an upload/download user interface in SAS/Studio.  But you an use other tools to move the files.  Or better just use a shared location that both your PC and the SAS server can access directly.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can of course use Studio to create a libname, we do that all the time. But it has to point to a location that the SAS session can "see". Since your SAS runs on the amazon cloud (and this also means a Linux system), you need to put existing files into the Linux filesystem, and point statements for files you intend to create to a place that exists and where you may write.

I would expect that the introduction to your practices would cover all these things.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation