BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

A week or two ago I noticed that the editor is incorrectly rendering the colon.  On the next line I will type the word "DATA" followed by a colon, like so

DATA: How is the colon rendered?

As you can see, there is a problem.  It only seems to occur for some words...maybe SAS keywords?

QUESTION: This is 1.

ANSWER: This is 2.

PROC: This is 3.

DO: This is 4.

RUN: This is 5.

I don't know what's happening.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Turns out that this is special to the combination of "data" followed by a colon.  It's insurance against a potential web vulnerability.  I don't have more details (guessing a javascript/JSON nuance), but apparently this behavior is not new and has been around for a long time.  When you see it in your own messages, the only option is to reword or use different punctuation.  May I suggest the interrobang?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 25. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I have noticed this on peoples posts, and wondered where it came from.  My suggestion would be, if you want to put code in the post use either {i} - general code, or the SAS run icon from the toolbar above the post rather than putting it into plain text in the post.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Any update on this from a community administrator such as @ChrisHemedinger? Has this been reported?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I have seen this once or twice myself.  Now that I see other people are affected, I'll report it.  Our platform received a minor upgrade last week and I think this was introduced then.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 25. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Turns out that this is special to the combination of "data" followed by a colon.  It's insurance against a potential web vulnerability.  I don't have more details (guessing a javascript/JSON nuance), but apparently this behavior is not new and has been around for a long time.  When you see it in your own messages, the only option is to reword or use different punctuation.  May I suggest the interrobang?

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

For me, the following trick seemed to be working: Write the colon in a different font than the word "data."

So, if "data" is written in the default font (Arial, I think) and the colon is written in Helvetica (which is very similar to Arial, please note that I've written "Helvetica" in this font), the "&colon" effect does not occur.

Test:

all in default font: data:

all in Helvetica: data:

"data" in default font, colon in Helvetica: data:

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Creative workaround! I can see why that works as a loophole, but congrats for figuring that out!

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Thanks!

One more test:

"data" in default font, colon in Arial (!): data:

Edit: It works! So, no need to scroll down to Helvetica any longer! 🙂

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Use bold (CTRL+B), which can be typed by using a keyboard shortcut:

Bold data:

Italics (CTRL+I) also works, but is harder to see.