infile "&filename" dsd truncover END = end_of_file LRECL=32000;
   fname="&filename" ;
run;

proc append data=&data base=&base force;
run;
%mend log_analysis;
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I've another question. How will you pass values to the maco paramter 'filename'? I need to pass values from the other macro (filelist) to the macro parameter 'filename' instead of explicitly defining the values. I did tried like below,

In the code below,filename resolves to SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-01_18208.lo​g and SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-04_tmptcmsaslva2_19142.lo​g. These two .log files are different file and I was expecting SAS to process the file one-by-one and then need to consolidate to one master dataset log.log_analysis. When I ran the code below, SAS was trying to search both the file at the same moment and it failed as it could not find both the file in a single data step.

Could

proc sql noprint;
select distinct fname into :filelist separated by ' '
from log.output_file;
quit;

%put &filelist;

%macro log_analysis
(filename =&filelist  /* Physical name of input file */
,data=work.log_analysis /* Name of SAS dataset */
,base=log.log_analysis /* Name of the Master dataset */
);

data &data;
set log.output_file;
length fname $400;
infile "/usr/sas/sas_config/Lev1/SASApp/StoredProcessServ​er/Logs/&filename" dsd truncover  END = end_of_file LRECL=32000;
fname="&filename" ;
DO WHILE (not end_of_file);
input var : $ 3000.;
var1 = _infile_;
if var1 = :'201' then do;
output;
end;
end;
run;

proc append data=&data base=&base force;
run;

%mend log_analysis;

data _null_;
  set log.output_file;
  if fname =: 'SASApp_STPServer' then call execute ('%log_analysis;');
else put 'no log files';
run;

you guide me how to achive this task? Please be informed that the macro filelist is also resolves to SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-01_tmptcmsaslva2_18208.lo​g and SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-04_tmptcmsaslva2_19142.lo​g

Log:

NOTE: CALL EXECUTE generated line.
1         + data work.log_analysis;  set log.output_file;    length fname $400;  infile 
"/usr/sas/sas_config/Lev1/SASApp/StoredProcessServ​er/Logs/SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-01_18208.log 
SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-04_19142.log" dsd truncover
2         + END = end_of_file LRECL=32000;  fname="SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-01_tmptcmsaslva2_1​8208.log 
SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-04_19142.log" ;  DO WHILE (not end_of_file);  input var : $ 3000.;    var1 = _infile_;  if 
var1 = :'201' then do;
3         + Date_TimeStamp= scan(var1,1," ");  Status = scan(var1,2," ");  Processid = scan(var1,3," ");  userid = scan(var1,4," 
");  Details = scan(var1,-1,'-');  output;  end;  end;  drop var var1;  run;

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, 
       /usr/sas/sas_config/Lev1/SASApp/StoredProcessServe​r/Logs/SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-01_18208.log 
       SASApp_STPServer_2015-10-04_19142.log.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

Thanks for any help you offer me.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
How does the macro variable &base will get resolve? Because it was declared in your example.

Thanks again for your continued support.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

A macro variable gets resolve when you reference with &.  So %PUT &BASE will write the value of BASE to the log.

A macro variable gets assigned a value in a number of ways.

%let base=fred;

... call symputx('base','fred'); ...

... select 'fred' into :base ....

In the context of call a macro the parmeters (which are really just macro variables that are local to the macro) the value assigned is based on how you call it.  

If you specify a value on the macro call , %mymacro(base=fred), then that is the value assigned.

If have defined it with a default value in the macro definition then if you call the macro wihout specifying a value it will use the defualt value.

%macro mymacro(base=george); %put &base; %mend mymacro;

%mymacro; 
 george
 %mymacro(base=fred);
 fred

If you want to override the default and set the value to an empty string then include it in the macro call. %mymacro(base=);

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation