BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
xiliang
Calcite | Level 5

When I try to load a file "test.xls" (97-2003 Workbook) that is generated by Microsoft Excel 2010 SMO 64 bit, using Enterprise Guide 64 bit. The test.xls is a The error message is:

ERROR: Connect: Class not registered

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement

I have tried the following statement and all have the same error

libname refname excel path="C:\workspace\test.xls'';

libname refname "C:\workspace\test.xls";

I also tried to cover 'test.xls' (Excel 97-2003 Workbook) to 'text.xlsx'(Excel Workbook), and the following statement also did not work:

libname refname excel path='C:\workspace\test.xlsx';

libname refname xlsx path='C:\workspace\test.xlsx';

libname refname 'C:\workspace\test.xlsx';

Appreciate any advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You have typos in that code:

libname tmp excel 'C:\workspace\test.xlsx';

Take the path= out of it.  

Or you can use proc import:

proc import datafile="c:/workspace/test.xlsx" out=want dbms=xlsx replace;
run;

Note that to load XLS files you will need pcfiles server as that is a very old file format and windows only.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You have typos in that code:

Take the path= out of it.  

Or you can use proc import:

proc import datafile="c:/workspace/test.xlsx" out=want dbms=xlsx replace;
run;

Note that to load XLS files you will need pcfiles server as that is a very old file format and windows only.

xiliang
Calcite | Level 5

The first option below does not work and still has the same error:

The second option works beautifully:

proc import datafile="c:/workspace/test.xlsx" out=want dbms=xlsx replace; run;<code></code>

My understanding is that I do not need pcfile server, since I have using both 64 bit Excel and 64 bit SAS. The following is from the link of SAS Support

"If you are running a 64-bit version of Microsoft Office and SAS on 64-bit Microsoft Windows, you do not need to install SAS PC Files Server, except if you plan to connect from a Linux- or UNIX-based SAS installation."

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use the same engine that works in proc import for your libname:

libname tmp xlsx 'C:\workspace\test.xlsx';

PS this was meant to be an answer to a post from @xiliang that has been deleted in the meantime.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Quite true, there are far to many Excel based engines around.  Just use a nice open source file format and bin the horrible proprietary stuff for a better future for us all!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@RW9 wrote:

Quite true, there are far to many Excel based engines around.  Just use a nice open source file format and bin the horrible proprietary stuff for a better future for us all!

Absolutely. That stuff has proven itself to be a total hellhole for users. I know why I exclusively use LibreOffice for my spreadsheet needs. Has kept the same file format and user interface for more than a decade now. That's why I've been urging SAS every now and then to support OpenOffice/LibreOffice, at least the .ods format.

xiliang
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! Indeed the error was caused by a typo!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Are you using the Local SAS server? If not, you won't have access to the C: drive of your desktop.

Do you have SAS/ACCESS to PC Files licensed? Run proc setinit and proc product_status to determine that.

xiliang
Calcite | Level 5

I am using my Desktop version of SAS. Does this mean I am using Local SAS server?

I think I have PC Files licensed. Here is the list:

For Base SAS Software ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M5
Image version information: 9.04.01M5P090617
For SAS/STAT ...
Custom version information: 14.3
For SAS/GRAPH ...
For SAS/IML ...
For SAS/QC ...
For High Performance Suite ...
Custom version information: 2.2_M6
For SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files ...
For SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC ...

Are you using the Local SAS server? If not, you won't have access to the C: drive of your desktop.

Do you have SAS/ACCESS to PC Files licensed? Run proc setinit and proc product_status to determine that.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation