BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi, how do you convert a variable type number to character when some values include special characters such <? e.g., p_value=<.0001. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In that case just do it yourself.

if not missing(numvar) then do;
  if numvar >= 0.0001 then charvar=put(numvar,7.4);
  else charvar='<0.0001';
end;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@ANKH1 wrote:

Hi, how do you convert a variable type number to character when some values include special characters such <? e.g., p_value=<.0001. 

Did you mix up the direction of the conversion?  If the value is numeric it cannot have any special characters.  

So assuming you want to convert a character string to a number you will have to decide what to do with extra characters.  Do you just want to remove them?

So you could remove specific characters:

numvar = input(compress(charvar,'<'),32.);

Or only keep digits and normal punctuation. 

numvar = input(compress(charvar,'+-.','kd'),32.);
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi, the variable comes from an output after running proc glmm. I am getting the output to create a table with results. The output specifies ProbF as a numeric variable. Some of the values are <.0001. The issue is that if I leave the type as numeric I get the actual number e.g., 0.000054 instead of the convention of reporting a pvalue as <0.0001.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In that case just do it yourself.

if not missing(numvar) then do;
  if numvar >= 0.0001 then charvar=put(numvar,7.4);
  else charvar='<0.0001';
end;
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@ANKH1 wrote:
Hi, the variable comes from an output after running proc glmm. I am getting the output to create a table with results. The output specifies ProbF as a numeric variable. Some of the values are <.0001. The issue is that if I leave the type as numeric I get the actual number e.g., 0.000054 instead of the convention of reporting a pvalue as <0.0001.

Hi @ANKH1,

You can get the formatted value with the VVALUE function, even without knowing the format. You should specify a reasonable length, though:

data want;
set have;
length char_ProbF $8;
char_ProbF=vvalue(ProbF);
run;

Astounding
PROC Star
The values like < .0001 are already numeric. They are printing using a format that includes a less than sign for small values.

One choice you have is to remove the format before printing:
format var;

Another choice you have is to change the data:
if var < .0001 then var = .0001;
Does that make sense?

A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Do not convert it into character, better apply format pvalue6.4 which displays the value as expected

data have; 
set have; format probF pvalue6.4;
run; 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation