BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HeG
Calcite | Level 5 HeG
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

We have DI jobs that we create.

In one DI job we have lots of tasks done.

How do you unit test your DI jobs?

If we write Macros, it is easy to have modules that we unit test. Different story with DI jobs.

//Henrik 

4 REPLIES 4
Clark
Obsidian | Level 7

For our DI jobs we do the following:

1. Test that it runs successful in DI.

2. If you are using a batch scheduler, test it within the scheduler. For flows, this will mean running the whole flow.

3. If that flow is part of a larger module, then we would deploy the flows into a test environment and do a full end to end test.

Most of the above is manual.

Does that help?

HeG
Calcite | Level 5 HeG
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Step 1 is maybe some sort of Unit Test. The question is what is the smallest "unit" I can test. For functional approaches we might consider a single function as a unit. But this is not to simple to test with DI jobs

Step2 and Step3 are more for Integration testing me.

Integration testing consists of executing groups of units in order to test their interaction and to see if they behave as predicted by the Design Specification. Units should only be integration tested once they have successfully been unit tested. Integration tests can be planned in a layered fashion so that they test increasingly large groups of units until the full system is constructed and tested.

Clark
Obsidian | Level 7

For 1, we run the full DI job rather than partially. Mainly because apart from our source(s) and target tables being registered, the interim datasets are work tables and so would need the DI job to be run fully to create them.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I normally treat a job as the unit so that's what I would be testing.

As the developer I'd run the job step by step out of DIS and ensure every single node returns what I'm expecting. That's informal testing during development. For unit testing I'd execute the job multiple times testing for example situations like: source table with no rows, re-running job with same data, source table doesn't exist, target table doesn't exist, ....and so on. This can be out of DIS or via batch.

I'd sure have at least one run in batch as this is how things need to work in the end.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation