BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
odesh
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I do not follow why the predicted values for 2 observations must be the mean.  ( see attached)

Please help me understand.

Thanks.

Odesh.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MarcHuber
SAS Employee

Just to be clear, in my previous reply, I should have mentioned that 905 MUST be the group mean for Medication 2, 795 MUST be the group mean for Medication 1, and 615 MUST be the group mean for medication 3.  It must be because predicted values in one-way ANOVA are the group means.  And this is a listing of an output table from a one-way ANOVA.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User
Without any other context this cannot be answered.
odesh
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Reeza. I think that you are right. The context is presented in the Big Data course , Statistics component, ANOVA section.

Odesh.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Here's the context -- the statement on this slide from the Statistics 1 class:

pred_resid.png

I've asked the course instructors to take a look at this posting and comment.

Thanks,

Cynthia

MarcHuber
SAS Employee

This is the context for this question.  The table in question is the output predicted values from an ANOVA problem.  In ANOVA (ANalysis Of VAriance, of course), the so-called "predicted value for any observation in the sample is the calculated arithmetic mean of the target variable (in this case, the target is TCellCount) for the group that the observation belongs to (group being the Medication value).  So, in this example, each and every Predicted TCellCount for Medication 2 must be the same - in this case 905, just as each and every Predicted TCellCount for Medication 1 must be the same - in this case 795, and each and every Predicted TCellCount for Medication 3 must be the same - in this case 615.  This MUST be the case because this is one-way ANOVA (ANOVA with only one classification variable as a predictor).

MarcHuber
SAS Employee

Just to be clear, in my previous reply, I should have mentioned that 905 MUST be the group mean for Medication 2, 795 MUST be the group mean for Medication 1, and 615 MUST be the group mean for medication 3.  It must be because predicted values in one-way ANOVA are the group means.  And this is a listing of an output table from a one-way ANOVA.

odesh
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks very much to everyone for helping me understand. The key piece that
I was missing was that " It must be because predicted values in one-way
ANOVA are the group means. "

Odesh.
odesh
Quartz | Level 8
I know Reeza. I had forgotten that basic fact.
Reeza
Super User

Sorry, that was submitted early and was not directed towards you! I was actually thinking how as you progress in your career it's easy to forget the basics sometimes! I have a Masters degree in Statistics and didn't remember that 😞

This is a knowledge-sharing community for learners in the Academy. Find answers to your questions or post here for a reply.
To ensure your success, use these getting-started resources:

Estimating Your Study Time
Reserving Software Lab Time
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Troubleshooting Your SAS-Hadoop Training Environment

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation