BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mthorne
Obsidian | Level 7

I recently started a discussion about difficulty installing SAS 9.4 on a Windows 11 platform. There were a couple comments but none with a solution (even though one was accepted as a solution by accident, somehow). 

After communicating with SAS technical support directly, it was discovered that Windows 11 requires SAS 9.4 to be at least version M7, and the latest version is actually M8. The version I was trying to install was an old M4 version and that is apparently why the install failed.

Moral of the story, if you are using Windows 11, use the proper version of 9.4. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Indeed. It's worthwhile remembering that the SAS 9.4 life cycle to date is extremely long, stretching back over 10 years, long before current Windows versions were available. M8 was released in Jan 2024 so will have full support until Jan 2029. The indications are that there will be further maintenance releases beyond M8. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Indeed. It's worthwhile remembering that the SAS 9.4 life cycle to date is extremely long, stretching back over 10 years, long before current Windows versions were available. M8 was released in Jan 2024 so will have full support until Jan 2029. The indications are that there will be further maintenance releases beyond M8. 

Quentin
Super User

Last year some of the big news out of SAS Explore was SAS giving away "I <heart> SAS 9" buttons, and asking users what features want to see in the next SAS 9 release (could be M9, could even be 9.5).  SAS 9 R&D lead Susan Owenby was on the main stage in a bedazzled I <heart> SAS 9 shirt! https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2023/09/29/sas-9-and-sas-eg/

SAS Innovate is just a couple months away. I'm looking forward to hearing the SAS 9 news that comes out.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
BarbaraD_SAS
SAS Employee

Slight update to @SASKiwi 's response.  M8 was made available Jan 2023 and will have full support until 2028.
See the announcement: 
SAS 9 4 M8 is now available 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 14 likes
  • 4 in conversation