BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

The output from proc phreg is something like this:

Parameter DFParameter EstimateSEChi-squareHRLabel 
group11x.xx.x 0.0567group1

This means that group = 2 has less probability of experiencing an event? I did not specify the reference group in the proc, so group=1 should be the reference. Is this correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

The point estimate 0.75 of the hazard ratio indicates a slight tendency of a lower risk in group 1 than in the reference group 2, but the wide 95% confidence interval including 1.0 shows: At that confidence level it is well possible that the true hazard ratio is equal to 1 (or even greater than 1), i.e., it might be that the hazard rates in the two groups are the same (or the risk in group 1 is even higher) and the observed hazard ratio 0.75 is just due to random fluctuations (possibly in a small sample).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Show us the real output. Show us this table in its entirety. Use the "Insert Photos" icon to include a screen capture.

From what you have shown, we don't see group=2 and we don't see what the probability of experiencing an event is, we can't tell if it is lower or higher (and you can't just say "less probability of experiencing an event" — you need to tell us: less than what?).

--
Paige Miller
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
Sorry, the HR=0.567. I just want to know how to interpret the HR. If the reference group was not assigned, I assume it is group 1?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Google is your friend

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+interpret+hazard+ratio&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS855US855&oq=how+to+int...

PaigeMiller_0-1709826773579.png

I don't know what the control is in your study. You have provided such little discussion of the data and what your code is doing, I can't say if group=1 is the control or not. (But judging from the output you showed us, it doesn't look to me like group=1 is the control; of course I could comment further if you showed us this entire output table as I asked)

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please show us the ENTIRE table. Please show us your code. Please explain the data in this study.

--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @ANKH1,

According to the documentation, the default of the REF= option of the CLASS statement is LAST, which means: If the (formatted) values of CLASS variable group are '1' and '2', a hazard ratio of 0.0567 for group 1 indicates a considerably lower risk of experiencing the event in group 1 than in group 2 (e.g., event = infection, '1' = highly effective vaccine vs.  '2' = placebo).

ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you!

ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9

This means that for this table group 1 is at lower risk of experiencing a first event? Below is also the code.

ANKH1_0-1709848936009.png

proc phreg data=ds;
class group;
model time2event*censor(1)=group/rl;
run;
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

The point estimate 0.75 of the hazard ratio indicates a slight tendency of a lower risk in group 1 than in the reference group 2, but the wide 95% confidence interval including 1.0 shows: At that confidence level it is well possible that the true hazard ratio is equal to 1 (or even greater than 1), i.e., it might be that the hazard rates in the two groups are the same (or the risk in group 1 is even higher) and the observed hazard ratio 0.75 is just due to random fluctuations (possibly in a small sample).

ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
Yes, our sample size is very small. I just wanted to make sure that the interpretation of the reference group (group2) was correct. Thank you for pointing out to the documentation. I was under the impression that if you don't reference a group it takes the first "number", but I was clearly wrong. Thanks again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation