BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kajal_30
Quartz | Level 8

I have a program as below. Where I am getting value from the existing table. Incase existing table has no value how can I do the coalesce ?  Here in case source data has no values. I tried code below but it is not working. I have another non null value in a macro variable &yearmonth . 

proc sql;
	select coalesce (put(max(yearmonth),6.) , &yearmonth)) into :  yrmonth from source_data;
quit;

proc sql;
	delete * from target_data
		where yearmonth= &yrmonth.;
quit;

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You can't use COALESCE here as if there are no rows in SOURCE_DATA the SQL statement won't execute. Assign YRMONTH first, then overwrite it with your SQL if SOURCE_DATA is populated:

%let yrmonth = %substr(%sysfunc(today(), yymmddn8.), 1, 6);;
%put &yrmonth;

proc sql;
  select put(yearmonth,6.) into  :yrmonth from source_data;
quit;
kajal_30
Quartz | Level 8

This will give me a non- null value for sure 

%put &yrmonth;

but I am wondering if it will be replaced with the null value in the next step if there are no records in the source data? 

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quentin
Super User

If you're not sure whether it will be replaced or not, you can test it out, e.g.:

%symdel yrmonth /nowarn ;

data source_data ;
  yearmonth=202201 ;
  delete ;
run ;

proc sql;
  select put(yearmonth,6.) into  :yrmonth from source_data;
quit;

%put &yrmonth;
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@kajal_30 wrote:

This will give me a non- null value for sure 

%put &yrmonth;

but I am wondering if it will be replaced with the null value in the next step if there are no records in the source data? 

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Depends on whether the SQL query returns any results or not.  For your simple query that depends on whether the dataset has any observations (even observations with missing values of the variable).  So you migth want to add a WHERE to your query to prevent it from overwriting the default value with a missing value.

%let yrmonth=&yearmonth;
proc sql noprint;
select max(yearmonth) format=z6.
  into :yrmonth 
  from source_data
  where not missing(yearmonth)
;
quit;
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You need to set a "default" before the SQL:

%let yrmonth = &yearmonth;
proc sql noprint;
select put(max(yearmonth),6.) into :  yrmonth from source_data;
quit;

Your SQL DELETE will not work because of a syntax error. Omit the asterisk.

And it's not clear which type the variables in your datasets are, so you need to decide where to use quotes.

Quentin
Super User

Agree with others that assigning a default value is the way to do it.  But just as a thought exercise, you can use COALESCE via %sysfunc, e.g.:

%symdel yrmonth /nowarn ;

data source_data ;
  yearmonth=202201 ;
  delete ;
run ;

options missing=' ' ;
proc sql;
	select put(max(yearmonth),6.) into :  yrmonth from source_data ;
quit;
options missing=. ;

%put >>&yrmonth<< ;

%let yrmonth=%sysfunc(CoalesceC(&yrmonth,%substr(%sysfunc(today(), yymmddn8.), 1, 6))) ;

%put >>&yrmonth<< ;
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation