BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
illmatic
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I just upgraded to SAS EG 8.2 to connect to our SAS Viya environment, but I am getting an error.

Unable to connect to the metadata server

SAS metadata server running on port 8691 on host xxxx.xxx.sas.com

Server response: connection timed out. A connection attempt failed because the SAS server did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host failed to respond.

SAS Cloud hosts our Viya environment. Where do I go to make sure I have the correct machine address and port number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Viya doesn't contain a metadata server so you can't use EG to connect by that method. If you are using Viya 3.5 you can still use EG with it but you must connect directly to a Viya Workspace server as explained here. Here are the setup instructions.

If you are using Viya 4, then EG is not supported and you must use SAS Studio instead.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Viya doesn't contain a metadata server so you can't use EG to connect by that method. If you are using Viya 3.5 you can still use EG with it but you must connect directly to a Viya Workspace server as explained here. Here are the setup instructions.

If you are using Viya 4, then EG is not supported and you must use SAS Studio instead.

illmatic
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @SASKiwi ,

Thanks for that information. I didn't know I had to connect via the server method.

Unfortunately, I am receiving the same error. Do you know where I can locate the machine address and port number? It's not mentioned on the links you provided.

And yes, we are on SAS Viya 3.5

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If Viya 3.5 uses the same port numbering as SAS 9.4 then 8591 would be the workspace server default port. The server address would be the IP name of the SAS server the workspace server is running on. Your SAS administrator should know the correct server name and port number - these can be different from the default. 

illmatic
Quartz | Level 8

@SASKiwi and Others that are interested in connecting EG to Viya-

I recently received a response from a SAS engineer. If you are hosted on SAS Cloud then you are not able to connect SAS EG 8.2+ to SAS Viya.

SAS Cloud rejects all connections of this sort and there is currently no workaround.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@illmatic  - Thanks for the update. I'm assuming that Viya 3.5 on-premises works differently and EG remains a possibility.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation