BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gemi
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi, I have this situation:

User1 has the authorization to view just 2 reports, named REPORT_A and REPORT_B. Of course, the authorizations are not assigned directly to the user but to the groups to which he belongs (GROUP_REPORT_A and GROUP_REPORT_B).

Both reports are built with few tables and they have a table in common, named TABLE_X.

This TABLE_X has a lot of data, columns, rows.. but has a column identifying city names, named NAMENATION.

For example, this column has values like "Paris", "Milan", "New York"...

I would set authorizations so that when User1 opens REPORT_A , he will see the report without any filters. But when he opens REPORT_B, he will see the report filtered by NAMENATION.

I have setted authorizations on TABLE_X in this way:
GROUP_REPORT_A: ReadInfo --> Grant ; Select --> Grant

GROUP_REPORT_B: ReadInfo --> Grant ; Select --> Row-Level Grant (NAMENATION = 'Paris').

Unfortunately in this way, User1 always sees, for both records, all the data without filters.. where am I wrong?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @HunterT_SAS 
@gemi has been doing what you have suggested. As can be seen from the documentation, I referred above and the screen capture below, the outcome of @edimauro   is what is expected.

(Please correct me if I have mis-understood the documentation)

Sajid01_0-1669860420180.png

There could be many approaches to resolve this issue, a separate table may not be needed, but faced with a similar situation, I would create a view of the original table and use it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

I believe you are using Visual Analytics. The users permission for Report__A that makes the user see unfiltered table. Please have a look here.

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/vacdc/7.5/vaag/n0hopehj2j9vzun1jm9rl56bpnrh.htm 

gemi
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, I know that the permission for Report_A makes the user see unfiltered table... Infact I would find a solution. What you linked I already know..
Is it so difficult to say:
When User1 open Report_A view data with this filter and when User1 open Report_B view data with another filter (or unfiltered).. ?
I know that the problem is because both report are built with same table..
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

One approach is to create a view or another table with filtered data.

use this table to create the second report_B.

gemi
Fluorite | Level 6
Unfortunately, this is a wrong approach in my case.. the table ha 2,2M of rows and as many columns.
Moreover, we a lot of users that have to view reports filtered by different values.. so I can't replicate that table for each users..
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

In many cases what the analytics users see as a table is actually a database view. Creating another view should not be an issue. However I see that this is not your preference.
As and when your resolve the issue, please do share it.

HunterT_SAS
SAS Employee

If User 1 is part of two groups GROUP_REPORT_A and GROUP_REPORT_B, and those two groups have different permissions on the same CAS table, then User 1 is going to end up with both applied anytime the user accesses that table. The only way around this is to have separate tables like this:

Report A -> uses Table X 

Report B -> uses Table Y (which is really a View or Copy of Table X)

Then for permissions:
GROUP_REPORT_A -> Table X -> ReadInfo --> Grant ; Select --> Grant

GROUP_REPORT_B -> Table Y -> ReadInfo --> Grant ; Select --> Row-Level Grant (NAMENATION = 'Paris').

I don't think you'd need a separate table for each user but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're doing. 

Otherwise I'm not sure if there's another way around this. 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @HunterT_SAS 
@gemi has been doing what you have suggested. As can be seen from the documentation, I referred above and the screen capture below, the outcome of @edimauro   is what is expected.

(Please correct me if I have mis-understood the documentation)

Sajid01_0-1669860420180.png

There could be many approaches to resolve this issue, a separate table may not be needed, but faced with a similar situation, I would create a view of the original table and use it.

gemi
Fluorite | Level 6
@Sajid01 do you think is possible to create a view of table directly on SAS Environment Manager ? Or do I have to create the view on my DBS and then import it on SAS ?
HunterT_SAS
SAS Employee

@Sajid01 - I think my response was misunderstood. It sounded like this thread was winding down with no solution so I wanted to jump in and re-iterate some key points including the documentation you noted and expected results, AND that the only way this works is if Report A and Report B used separate views or tables. My example uses separate tables (which I don't think is already being done by @gemi ?) with RLS rules on each table for the two different groups. But you're right it doesn't have to be separate tables, it could be a view too. The point is the reports cannot use the exact same table in this scenario. 

As far as creating a view, I don't believe Environment Manager can do this. Maybe SAS Data Studio can, but I'm not familiar with it enough to know for certain. 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

I am sorry @HunterT_SAS I must have misread your post. We both have the same approach in mind.
I agree @gemi is not creating a separate table.
In the event I have the option to create the said report and have the option to use SAS code in place of Visual Analytic, I would prefer using SAS code.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation