BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed

Hi SAS Community!

The idea for this ballot is to include SAS Packages Framework macros (https://github.com/yabwon/SAS_PACKAGES/blob/main/SPF/SPFinit.md) into Base SAS and Viya.

Mature open source communities (e.g. R, Python, or TeX groups) allow users to share code (even complex one) in an easy "transportable" form of packages. I believe that the SAS Community is also one that could use such form of "code exchange". The SAS Packages Framework is a set of macros which allow you to build SAS Packages. (The framework is open source and MIT licensed) 

To build or use a package macros from the framework need to be available in the SAS session. So now it requires additional effort for both developers and users who want to work with SAS Packages - the framework has to be downloaded and included for a SAS session. Why no add the framework macros to the SAS deployment so both developers and users could focus on making and using SAS Packages rather than on setting up "environment" to do so?

Articles describing the idea are here and here

Video introduction to the idea can be found here and here.

All the best

Bart

8 Comments
lexjansen
Fluorite | Level 6

Great idea!

louisehadden
Quartz | Level 8

Awesome product and suggestion

mshoghi
Calcite | Level 5

Great idea and good perseverance to make it happen! 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

So well done Bart!

michal_1407
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, I use it in my company so it is good idea to incorporate it to SAS BASE !

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

Interesting.
I will surely click on your links to have a look ( I have not done so yet ☹️ 😒 ) and to get a deeper understanding of what you are proposing exactly.

I just want to point out here and now that SAS/IML is working with packages !

SAS® 9.4 and SAS® Viya® 3.5 Programming Documentation | SAS 9.4 / Viya 3.5
SAS/IML User's Guide
Packages
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/imlug/imlug_packages_sect001.htm

Koen

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

I rely on nuget in the .NET world. SAS needs something along those lines. Highly agree with Bart here.

GerryFromPace
Calcite | Level 5

Great idea, great work, should be on the SAS ballot. Gerry