BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shamie011
Calcite | Level 5

I have a exported an excel report that contains empty cells and would like to write a code that would color all empty cells in the excel output.

I have the following code which only highlights/colors empty cells in the NAME column, however I'd like to highlight all empty cells without having to write out code for all 47 columns that I have in my report :

PROC REPORT DATA = STAGE1;
DEFINE NAME -- REFERRAL_BASIS/ DISPLAY;

COMPUTE NAME;
IF NAME= '' THEN
CALL DEFINE('NAME', "STYLE", "STYLE=[BACKGROUND=CYAN]");
ENDCOMP;
RUN;

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I can't reproduce this. The code works properly on my example data. Please provide (a portion) of your actual data set STAGE1, as working SAS data step code (examples and instructions), and not in any other format.

data class;
    set class;
    if name="Jane" then call missing(name);
run;

ods excel file='test.xlsx';
PROC REPORT DATA = class;
DEFINE name--weight/ DISPLAY;
COMPUTE NAME;
IF NAME= '' THEN
CALL DEFINE('NAME', "STYLE", "STYLE=[BACKGROUND=CYAN]");
ENDCOMP;
RUN;
ods excel close;

PaigeMiller_0-1715798142309.png

--
Paige Miller
shamie011
Calcite | Level 5

The code works fine, I guess my question is do I have to write out all the 47 columns that I have that I'd want to color if they have empty cells?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, I didn't read it carefully.

The answer is here: Solved: Re: How to use proc report with same compute block for many variables ... - SAS Support Comm...

scroll down to the answer by @Ksharp 

--
Paige Miller
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I was able to make it work for more variables with ARRAY processing in the COMPUTE block. I changed the COMPUTE block to be placed on the last report item in the report row (WEIGHT instead of NAME) because then I could do everything for each column in one COMPUTE block. But I still needed to have the column names listed in the ARRAY statement.  I took advantage of the fact that you can use temporary variables like "var_col" in the CALL DEFINE statement.

Cynthia_sas_0-1715799860550.png

Cynthia

Ksharp
Super User

For your this special case, you could try keyword _CHARACTER_ and _NUMERIC_ to apply traffic light style to all these variables.

data class;
    set sashelp.class;
    if _n_ in (1:4) then call missing(name);
    if _n_ in (6 10:12) then call missing(age,sex,height);
run;

proc format;
value $fmt
' '='cyan'
other='white'
;
value _fmt
.='cyan'
other='white'
;
run;
option missing=' ';
ods excel file='c:\temp\test.xlsx';
PROC REPORT DATA = class nowd;
DEFINE _character_/display style={background=$fmt.};
DEFINE _numeric_/display style={background=_fmt.};
RUN;
ods excel close;

Ksharp_0-1715820940904.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation