BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
raheleh22
Obsidian | Level 7

I have count outcome data across multiple counties ( therefore, different population/ per county). I am considering Poisson Regression with count cases and using term offset being log population. here is my code: 

data ZZZZ;
SET ZZ;
ln = log(POPULATION);
RUN;
proc genmod data=ZZZZ;
class COUNTY (ref='1')/PARAM=REF;
WHERE TIME=1 ;
model case = X1 X2 / dist=poisson link=log offset=ln;
run;

I just wanted to make sure my code is considering population adjustment 

and how would be the interpretation. I got Estimates, are this estimates rates or it would be interpreted as : one unit increase in X, increase/decrease log cases? 

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The offset, log of population in your case, is just another predictor in the model. The only difference is that it is restricted to have a parameter estimate equal to 1. In the estimation process, all parameter estimates are adjusted for the presence of the others. Since the response function that you are modeling is the log of the Poisson mean, that is what the parameter estimates apply to. So, the X1 parameter is the effect of a unit increase in X1 on the log Poisson mean - the log mean count. However, computing a linear combination of the parameters, without involving the offset value, predicts the rate, not the mean. See the discussion of all this in this note

BTW, you should never specify a variable in the CLASS statement that is not used elsewhere in the model specification. Missing values in such variables will cause observations to be ignored which don't need to be. Since you are not using COUNTY in the model and it is the only thing in the CLASS statement, you should drop the CLASS statement.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The offset, log of population in your case, is just another predictor in the model. The only difference is that it is restricted to have a parameter estimate equal to 1. In the estimation process, all parameter estimates are adjusted for the presence of the others. Since the response function that you are modeling is the log of the Poisson mean, that is what the parameter estimates apply to. So, the X1 parameter is the effect of a unit increase in X1 on the log Poisson mean - the log mean count. However, computing a linear combination of the parameters, without involving the offset value, predicts the rate, not the mean. See the discussion of all this in this note

BTW, you should never specify a variable in the CLASS statement that is not used elsewhere in the model specification. Missing values in such variables will cause observations to be ignored which don't need to be. Since you are not using COUNTY in the model and it is the only thing in the CLASS statement, you should drop the CLASS statement.

raheleh22
Obsidian | Level 7
This is really helpful. I am using COUNTY VARIABLE in my model and that is why I used CLASS statement for COUNTY. infact my X2 is COUNTY.
Thanks a lot

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation