BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, everyone

I met a trouble when doing with the power and sample size stuff with PROC POWER coxreg procedure. I am not sure about the values of the option stddev. I compute its value from the study's HR confidence interval via (logHRupper - logHRlower)/(2 x 1.96). I know this is a standard error but I don't know how to derive the standard deviation of it.

I also have used Stata to compare my results. Same problem. The values of stddev I configured must have been wrong. How could a 80% power require so much events number?

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 7.11.43 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @TomHsiung,

The PROC POWER documentation says

STDDEV=number-list
STD=number-list

specifies the standard deviation of the predictor of interest. 

So my understanding is: If x1 is the predictor of interest and b1 its regression coefficient (exp(b1) being the hazard ratio specified in the HAZARDRATIO= option of the COXREG statement), you specify the standard deviation s of x1 (or a list of reasonably possible values of s) in the STDDEV= option, not the standard deviation of b1.

The formula in https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/statug/statug_power_details22.htm implies that increasing s will increase the power, which seems plausible: With smaller values of s it tends to be less likely to obtain a significant (score) test result about b1.

Similarly, the RSQUARE= option is about an aspect of the joint distribution of the predictors xi.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @TomHsiung,

The PROC POWER documentation says

STDDEV=number-list
STD=number-list

specifies the standard deviation of the predictor of interest. 

So my understanding is: If x1 is the predictor of interest and b1 its regression coefficient (exp(b1) being the hazard ratio specified in the HAZARDRATIO= option of the COXREG statement), you specify the standard deviation s of x1 (or a list of reasonably possible values of s) in the STDDEV= option, not the standard deviation of b1.

The formula in https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/statug/statug_power_details22.htm implies that increasing s will increase the power, which seems plausible: With smaller values of s it tends to be less likely to obtain a significant (score) test result about b1.

Similarly, the RSQUARE= option is about an aspect of the joint distribution of the predictors xi.

TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, Freelance

I think you're right. The default value of stddev is 0.5, which is the standard deviation of a binary 1:1 match grouping variable, i.e., square root of 0.5(1 - 0.5). Thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation