BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
saza
Quartz | Level 8

1) Is there a relationship between maternal height and baby length?

My code: 

proc reg data= birthw.birthweight;
model mheight = length;
run;
    1. State your null and alternative hypothesis: Honestly I am uncertain of how to write the hypothesis because I did not think they would be able to relate the variables but I believe they are related due to the correlation on  the graphs I get using my code. 
    2. What is the rho value for this analysis? is the rho= 0.2352?
    3. Make your scatter plat for this analysis, does it confirm your rho findings? Yes, there was scatterplot using proc reg
    4. Does a statically significant relationship exist between these two variables? If so, interpret:I believe there is a relationship but not sure on how to prove it.
4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

@saza wrote:

1. State your null and alternative hypothesis: Honestly I am uncertain of how to write the hypothesis because I did not think they would be able to relate the variables but I believe they are related due to the correlation on  the graphs I get using my code. 

Your hypothesis isn't what you think the answer is, it's what the question is, which is defined for you. You need to translate the words into a statistical test comparison. 

saza
Quartz | Level 8
So please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm new to statistics and am just trying to apply my knowledge here:
For the above data we find that Perimeter estimate is equal to 1.07 and the F statistic is equal to 12.03 . Therefore, at the 95% confidence level we Fail to Reject the null hypothesis that maternal height has an effect on baby length with a p value of 0.0011
saza
Quartz | Level 8
OR is it this?
The null and alternative hypotheses for this analysis are
H0: There is not a linear relationship between exposure and mortality (R=0)
H1: There is a linear relationship between exposure and mortality (R≠0)
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

"The null and alternative hypotheses for this analysis are
H0: There is not a linear relationship between exposure and mortality (R=0)
H1: There is a linear relationship between exposure and mortality (R≠0)"

This looks more like what you want in the way of hypothesis testing.

SteveDenham

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation