BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MAC1430
Pyrite | Level 9

am going to estimate the following model:

y=constant+b1(X)+b2(X)(Dummy)

We have daily data from 1990 to 2000. Dummy variable is equal to one for the daily data of year 2000, else zero. b1 is the main effect, and b2 is the marginal effect because of the dummy. The total effect in year 2000= b1+b2. How to estimate the statistical significance t-stat for this total effect (b1+b2)?

One and easy way is to use a a dummy with D=1D′.  However, I am more interested to use  contrasts. The details about both methods are available at https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/474912/total-effect-of-main-variable-and-its-interaction-w...

Thank you very much.

5 REPLIES 5
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The statistical significance of b2 (i.e. the probability that hypothesis b2=0 can be accepted) will tell you if the relation between y and X has changed in 2000, compared with the 1990-1999 period.

PG
MAC1430
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you. But I am interested in the total effect of b1 and b2. The total effect of b1 and b2 is just the sum of b1 and b2, but the issue is how to estimate the statistical significance of the total effect (b1+b2)?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The question you are asking is answered by the overall F-test.

--
Paige Miller
MAC1430
Pyrite | Level 9

Sorry, I should have mentioned it. Yes I am using proc reg. I used test but it provided F-test instead of t-test.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You don't need a t-test, the overall F-test is the exact test you want. And if you could figure out the right t-test to do here, it should give the exact same p-value as the overall F-test.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation