BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mkit8
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am having trouble determining whether I should be using Cox Regression or Kaplan-Meier Survival Analysis to examine my data. I would like to examine the differences in survival between two age groups who have a certain type of cancer after adjusting both models for 7 covariates (1 of these variables is binary, 4 are categorical, and 2 are nominal).

This is my first time doing anything with survival analysis and I would appreciate guidance.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OsoGris
SAS Employee

You need to use Cox regression (PROC PHREG) to account for the covariates in your model.   The KM Survival Analysis (PROC LIFETEST) does not do any modelling.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ksharp
Super User
Does the life time censored ? If not , no need survival analysis .
mkit8
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, KSharp,

Yes, I am using survival months and then censoring for my 'cause specific death' variable. 

Ksharp
Super User
Yes. try survival analysis.
PROC LIFETIME ........
Arik
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I currently read two papers about this. They compare the different approaches in example studies. I'm not sure if they totally fit to your topic, but maybe they'll be helpful.

https://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/01/25/1078-0432.CCR-11-2097DOI: 10.1158/10...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2873048/

riya275
Obsidian | Level 7

Since you want to adjust for covariates then you should use cox proportion.

OsoGris
SAS Employee

You need to use Cox regression (PROC PHREG) to account for the covariates in your model.   The KM Survival Analysis (PROC LIFETEST) does not do any modelling.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation