BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AlexDaher
Fluorite | Level 6

I used MCMC-lognormal  to fit the data with random effect and also I used the normal model to do that , when I make exponential to the mean from lognormal it is different from that one in coming from Normal model, big differences I wonder why?

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you post SAS program that you used for the analyses, we will be able to comment more confidently.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The primary reason is that exponentiating the mean of a log normal yields the geometric mean, which is almost certainly less than the mean assuming normality.  Take a look at any graphical description of the lognormal distribution, or see this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-normal_distribution .  There you will see that the mean (expected value) of the log-normal is exp(mu + variance/2).  The geometric mean is an approximate estimator of the median, which in a right skewed distribution is less than the mean.

SteveDenham

AlexDaher
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your reply. 

I am pretty sure that the mean as you explained needs to be adjusted by including the variance in it. I will post the code soon and also I adjust the mean to see the result.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation