BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mmconeyb
Calcite | Level 5

I am an agricultural researcher and grad student who repeated the same experiment three years in a row. The experiment is a randomized complete block design with field as the block (i.e. it was replicated by location instead of multiple blocks at one location). I have two independent variables (treatment and time) and five dependent variables (height, width, color, yield, and flavor). Each year, data was collected over time, so I am using PROC mixed with repeated measures.

My question is how do I account for the 'year' component in my analysis?

Technically, I conducted three separate experiments (albeit the same experiment), once a year in 2019, 2020, and 2021. However, the point of repeating the experiment over three years is to control for differences by production season and demonstrate that the results are consistent year after year. I am referencing both my statistics and SAS texts, and everything talks about collecting data over time (in the case of repeated measures) and not what to do with your analysis when the whole experiment was repeated multiple times. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
pink_poodle
Barite | Level 11
I read about a similar example with agricultural fields. It is nice to know someone is applying it to real agricultural fields. This paper is in the right direction:
https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings/proceedings/sugi29/188-29.pdf
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can make YEAR a main effect, and test to see if it has any significant effect.

--
Paige Miller
RosieSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

If your experiments was repeated every year but not applied on the same subjects, for instant, the same plants, then YEAR should not be treated as a repeated measure. In this situation, YEAR is just a random or fixed effect in a standard ANOVA. It should be decided that whether year is a random effect or fixed effect when you designed your experiment. If YEAR does represents some special environments, and the purpose to do this multiple year experiment is to obtain more stable results, then YEAR should be treated as a random effect. Please search "RCBD in multiple years in SAS", you will get some sample SAS code. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation