BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
luvduvbunny
Calcite | Level 5

Not sure if this is the right location to post, but I'm fairly new to SAS and I would like some help interpreting IRRs (and general data) in proc genmod.

I'm not sure what the column "exponentiated" are supposed to tell me. Does it mean that one group has higher/lower odds of an event happening?

Below is a screenshot of my data. Some background info, I'm trying to see if people with underweight, normal, overweight, and obese BMIs are more likely to see a healthcare provider

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

You should always show your PROC statements so we know exactly what you did. Those results only make sense as relative risk estimates if your model is a log-linked Poisson model with a binary (0,1-coded) response. If so, then see the "Zou's modified Poisson approach" section of this note. The exponentiated column in the differences table gives the point estimates of the relative risks. The BMI and _BMI columns indicate which levels are in the numerator and denominator, respectively, of each relative risk. So, the first estimate, 0.88, means that the probability of the response event for BMI=NORMAL is 0.88 times the probability of the event for BMI=OBESE. The exponentiated column in the preceding table shows the individual level probabilities where you can see that the NORMAL probability estimate is 2.01 and the OBESE estimate is 2.26 - the ratio being 0.88.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

You should always show your PROC statements so we know exactly what you did. Those results only make sense as relative risk estimates if your model is a log-linked Poisson model with a binary (0,1-coded) response. If so, then see the "Zou's modified Poisson approach" section of this note. The exponentiated column in the differences table gives the point estimates of the relative risks. The BMI and _BMI columns indicate which levels are in the numerator and denominator, respectively, of each relative risk. So, the first estimate, 0.88, means that the probability of the response event for BMI=NORMAL is 0.88 times the probability of the event for BMI=OBESE. The exponentiated column in the preceding table shows the individual level probabilities where you can see that the NORMAL probability estimate is 2.01 and the OBESE estimate is 2.26 - the ratio being 0.88.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation