BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
qatman28
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the following setup:

- Population who all experience a qualifying event (age and year of event vary per person)

- Population is followed until outcome of interest (cancer) or competing risk of death, censored at last follow-up

- There is a desired stratification variable Treatment, coded as 0/1. This value is time-dependent. A person who never receives treatment is coded as 0 throughout follow-up. A person who receives treatment at baseline is coded as 1 throughout follow-up. A person who receives treatment during the follow-up period is coded as 0 until treatment and 1 thereafter.

- The time variable of interest for cumulative incidence is latency since initial exposure.

I am requested to provide cumulative incidence figures for cancer with competing risk of death, stratified by treatment status (treated as time-dependent). I could use PROC LIFETEST to code this except that I need to start follow-up after the initial exposure for patients who received treatment after baseline. There does not seem to be a way to handle this (what I believe is 'left truncation') in SAS. I do have macro code from https://www.nature.com/articles/s41409-021-01435-2 that appears to allow for late entry, but it does not handle competing risks.

Does anyone have a solution that would work for this situation, or advice that this is not a valid approach? Essentially the request is to provide separate cumulative incidence curves for each stratification (treatment yes vs. no) but if this is not reasonable then I would like to know.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation