BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Azertix
Calcite | Level 5

Dear team and users.

I am working on a study about babies that have to follow the EFSA guidance

https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.2903/j.efsa.2017.4779

In this guidance, it is asked to calculate “Birth weight for gestation (z-score for sex and gestation)” i.e. the Z-score at the birth of the baby based on the gestation duration.

I do not find a SAS macro that do that job. Do you know if this macro exist?

Precisions:

-For Z-score of anthropometry during life (Weight-for-age z-score, height-for-age z-score etc.) I have used the macro %igrowup_standard that come from the Who http://www.who.int/childgrowth/software/en/ ) but it does not work for “Birth weight for gestation”.

-I have find an excel tools that can do the job in theory for “intergrowth21”

https://intergrowth21.tghn.org/intergrowth-21st-applications/  but I am supposed to word in SAS a much as possible.

Thanks to who can help me. 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
mkeintz
PROC Star

I take it that "gestation" is just a time variable, presumably in weeks.

If so, then why can't gestation be used as the age measure in the macro %igrowup_standard, which you report works for " anthropometry during life", and birth weight as the anthropometric measure?.

You say "it does not work for “Birth weight for gestation”.  Why?  Does %igrowup_standard require repeated measures?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
Azertix
Calcite | Level 5

@mkeintz : 

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I can use %igrowup_standard to calculate Z-score at age = 0 but this does not take into account if the gestation time is 37 week or 38 or 39 or 40.

If I use  %igrowup_standard  whith age = 40 my baby will be compared to babies of 40 weeks, not with babies just born after 40 weeks of gestation.   

No  %igrowup_standard does not requiers repeted measures.

ballardw
Super User

Do you know of a data set with the mean and standard deviation of any measure by sex and "weeks of gestation"? That would be needed to calculate a z-score.

I would ask whoever gave you this project where that data set resides.

Azertix
Calcite | Level 5

@ballardw :

You are right. I actually only need a table of means and standards deviation by sex and gestational age. If I get this, coding the Z-score in SAS will be easy.

However, I do not find that with google. So I have ask just EFSA directly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation