BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
emaguin
Quartz | Level 8

Exactly what the subject line says. Given, for example, a correlation matrix of y1-y6 in text format, read it into sas and use that matrix as input to proc corr to compute the reliability of the scale defined by y1-y6.

7 REPLIES 7
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Reading a correlation matrix should not be any different than reading in any other type of data.

What is your formula for calculating reliability?

How would you calculate it from the original data?

Please share an example input dataset and the expected result for that data.

emaguin
Quartz | Level 8
In her reply, Paige says that proc corr won't take matix input and that is what I thought was true when I looked at the proc corr documentation but I wanted to ask because my sas knowledge would only fill a thimble but one with a hole in it. I know that sas has IML and it can be used to do amazing things, including, I'm sure, computing a reliability coefficient but I don't know how use IML.
I can do this in spss with two commands: matrix data and reliability (which accepts a matrix data file as well as regular data file as input).
Thank you for replying.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

A correlation matrix cannot be input to PROC CORR.

How do you plan to compute reliability?

--
Paige Miller
emaguin
Quartz | Level 8
I thought was true when I looked at the proc corr documentation but I wanted to ask because my sas knowledge would only fill a thimble albeit one with a hole in it. I know that sas has IML and it can be used to do amazing things, including, I'm sure, computing a reliability coefficient but I don't know how use IML.
I can do this in spss with two commands: matrix data and reliability (which accepts a matrix data file as well as regular data file as input).
Thank you for replying.

ballardw
Super User

Please show the text of your "correlation" matrix.

Type=Corr data sets have to be of very specific structures we need to see if you even have all of the required elements. You may want to search the online help for "Type=corr datasets" to see the basic details.

It is likely better to provide the raw data used to make your correlation matrix if available and let Proc Corr make the set or do the analysis on the raw data.

emaguin
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks for pointing out that sas has a corr dataset and many more types as well based on the search you suggested. I understand your point but the format and structure of a sas type=corr data set is that for a matrix dataset in spss and I know to make them, I've made them and am making them. Example A.2+Figure A.3 in that search shows how to do that and the result.
In her reply, Paige says that proc corr won't take matix input and that is what I thought was true when I looked at the proc corr documentation but I wanted to ask because my sas knowledge would only fill a thimble but one with a hole in it. I know that sas has IML and it can be used to do amazing things, including, I'm sure, computing a reliability coefficient but I don't know how use IML.
Thank you for replying.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation