BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Vish33
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Can anyone describe the difference between heart rate and pulse rate and it's measurement units.

5 REPLIES 5
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I would say there is no difference.  If someone tells you otherwise then you need to get more details from them about what they are actually measuring.

Units for Heart Rate is beats per minute. 

Normally it is collected by taking the pulse rate as measured at the wrist, but you can measure it at any artery. 

You can also calculate a rate from an ECG by calculating the time between beats. 

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Quote from Wikipedia:

"

The heart rate may be greater or lesser than the pulse rate depending upon physiologic demand. In this case, the heart rate is determined by auscultation or audible sounds at the heart apex, in which case it is not the pulse. The pulse deficit (difference between heart beats and pulsations at the periphery) is determined by simultaneous palpation at the radial artery and auscultation at the heart apex.

"

New to me too. I guess ECG measures heart rate and artery palpation measures pulse rate.

I don't quite see the connection with SAS, yet.

PG

PG
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I doubt that there is a connection to SAS. 

Just to confuse things further, the heart (or pulse) rate can be 0 in living humans.  The newer "ventricular assist devices" use continuous flow pumps so there is no pulsing.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Just a guess, but I imagine that either the OP has a dataset with one of the two variables, and wishes to calculate the other, or the dataset has both and they need to calculate the pulse deficit, or some other relationship between the two.  That might explain the relationship to SAS...

Steve Denham

Vish33
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you ALL for your replies..

ya..as you people doubted there is a relationship to SAS, when i use to create ECG(EG) datasets in clinical domain, i found this HRMEAN (which is herat rate mean value) and PRMEAN(which is pulse rate mean value) and some other values. when i googled it, i found that there is no such significant difference except when the blood circulation through arteries is not normal.

the same question i faced in an interview 2 days before.

Regards,

vishnu

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation