BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
michaela
Calcite | Level 5
I have a table I want to select the maximum id for mulitple records and am having problems figuring out the code. For example what I would like from the list below is

123 b
456 d
678 f

id value

123 a
123 b
456 c
456 d
678 e
678 f

I tried to do a proc sql statement that just brought back 678 f for example because it had the maximum values of all values on the table.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
deleted_user
Not applicable
something like (assuming key is number and letter is ID )

data data;
input key id $ ;
cards;
123 a
123 b
456 c
456 d
678 e
678 f
;
proc sql ;
create table top_keys as
select * from data
group by key
having ID= max(ID) ;
quit;

Won't work on many (non-SAS) platforms and SAS refers to remerging summary with detail.
You may have to be concerned about cases where the largest ID is not unique within a key.
Reeza
Super User

Add the group by statement to your sql code.

If you're doing in PROC SQL without pass through

proc sql;

create table top_keys as

select key, max(id) as max_value

from have

group by id;

quit;

I don't know why Peter is using the having clause, but I don't think you need it unless you want the max for each group in each row as well. If you do then can remerge in a second sql step to avoid the issue Peter has mentioned.

Generally, any variables in the group by statement can be included in the select statement.

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I think I have the same question and similar code but it does not seem to be working.

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.TD_TST AS

SELECT t1.id,

t1.read_time,

(MAX(t1.read_time)) FORMAT=DATETIME22.3 AS MAX_of_read_time,

t1.pmax_derated,

/* start_date */

(intnx('HOUR',TODAY(),-12)

) LABEL="start_date" AS start_date

FROM PBGMES.td_header t1

WHERE

t1.id ='1...4'

GROUP BY t1.sub_id,

t1.pmax_derated,

(CALCULATED start_date)

/*      having t1.read_time = (MAX(t1.read_time))*/

;

QUIT;

id                   read_time                              max_read_time                         pmax_derated      start_date

130716041724      17JUL2013:13:07:49.000      17JUL2013:13:07:49.000      0                          -25200

130716041724      17JUL2013:14:54:01.000      17JUL2013:14:54:01.000      89.420417786 -25200

Thanks,

saspert

LarryWorley
Fluorite | Level 6

I am not sure why you believe the query is not working, I see two records with the same sub_id and different pmax_derated values, so group by could be working.  But I wonder if the calculation of start_date is what you intended.

I see that you use 'hour' as the interval in intnx and then specify today's date as the start-from..  The today() function returns a date value; so there is a mis-match here.

If you are trying to specify 12:00 noon yesterday as the start time, then you will need something like  (intnx('HOUR',dhms(TODAY(),0,0,),-12) The DHMS converts today's date value to a datetime value which the 'HOUR' interval will work on.

Hope this helps.

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

Smiley Happy I just followed my colleagues without thinking completely. I think if I remove the field pmax_derated in the group by field, I get what I want - single record for sub_id.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation