BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sakura
Calcite | Level 5

I am recently certified for base programmer.  I had a degree in computer science.  I have been RN working in hospital for two years and want to make a career change.  But it looks like employers are looking for experienced programmers.   How can I get experience and find the very first sas job?  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
diva_di_dati
Calcite | Level 5

Try 'volunteering' for a project that will capitalize on your nursing background that also can use your data skills.  Touch base with the medical informatics dept or whoever runs clinical trials at your facility -they would value your nursing background and expertise and you can get your experience.  If that is not possible try to go to your nearest university based medical center and offer the same.

sakura
Calcite | Level 5

does project experience count? I do appreciate your valuable advice, I will try to find opportunities to volunteer. 

pluviosilla
Fluorite | Level 6

I find it almost impossible to find volunteer opportunities. I'm a very experienced IT professional and a strong programmer in several languages, and yet so far, I have been unable to find a business (or charity) that will allow me to donate my time as a SAS programmer. I've been on the other side of the table, reviewing applications of interns, and I understand the reluctance. Free work is not really free when you consider the time you must invest as a manager to supervise the intern, and quite often, the contribution the intern makes is so poor that the the cost in time investment is too high, even though the intern is not charging a salary. 

This is intensely frustrating, because I have no doubt I can do a good job and I'm very eager to work as a statistical programmer. I wish you well, but my experience is that finding volunteer opportunities is not at all easy.

John Strong

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation