BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

I am using SAS 9.1.  I have a hospital data set where one abstract is one row of data. 

I was able to figure out how to extract the multi-occurring fields like diagnosis or procedure using the following:

DATA have;

set mylib.data_2011;

keep chartno acctno sepdate diagcde1-diagcde25;

RUN;

proc sort data=have out=have_sort;

by acctno chartno;

run;

proc transpose data=have_sort out=need(rename=col1=dxcode);

by acctno chartno sepdate;

var diagcde1-diagcde25;

run;

data Dx_List;

set need;

format sepdate ddmmyy10.

where dxcode ne "";

run;

With hospital there are 25 possible diagnoses that could be coded but not every patient will have 25 diagnoses but in the transpose step it assigns diagcde1-diagcde25 for all cases.  My last step for Dx_List is to remove the blanks and everything is working well.

But how do I introduce other variables?  For instance, I want to also include diagtyp, diagpre, and diagclust which all also have 25 possible entries. 

Also, for the code above, it creates a column called "Name of Former Variable" which lists diagcde1-diagcde25 - how do I change that field?  For instance, I would like it to show as occurrence number instead of this text field.  In other words take out the diagcde portion of the field to leave the #.

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated - thanks.

1 REPLY 1
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I may not be understanding your desired output and I certainly don't understand your data, but if you'd like to have one row per dx, you might try something like this:

data Dx_List (keep=chartno acctno sepdate diagtyp diagpre diagclust diagcde);

set mylib.data_2011;

array dtyp(25) diagtyp1 - diagtyp25;

array dpre(25) diagpre1 - diagpre25;

array dclust(25) diagclust1 - diagclust25;

array dcde(25) diagcde1 - diagcde25;

do j = 1 to 25;

if dcde(j) >'' then do;

diagtype=dtype(j);

diagpre = dpre(j);

diagclust=dclust(j);

diagcde = dcde(j);

output;

end;

end;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation