BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am running a Cox model with outcome as mortality, and predictor as Magnesium (Mg).

When I treat Mg as quintiles, p-value for this predictor is significant.
However, when Mg was entered into the model as continuous, p-value is >0.05.

I can not find an explanation for this difference. What are next steps to be considered?

I would love to hear from your experience about this problem.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Minhtrang wrote:

Hi all,

I am running a Cox model with outcome as mortality, and predictor as Magnesium (Mg).

I can not find an explanation for this difference. What are next steps to be considered?

Thank you.

There's no reason to think that a model based upon quintiles (in which you are throwing away data) will produce the same result as a model based upon the continuous variable (where you are not throwing away data). In fact, if you have the continuous variable values, I can't really think of a reason why you'd even want to use quintiles in place of the continuous data ... I doubt you could justify this to a reviewer or professor.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You didn't tell us the actual p-values.  For instance, .04 and .06 are not that different in strength of evidence.

Other things to look at: 

--  Is the effect of mg linear?  A curvilinear relationship can show up as non-significant in a continuous setting.  Looks at your graphical diagnostics.

--  There may be an interaction that you are not modeling.

There are a couple of good SAS Books-By-Users that can lead you through exploring the relationships.

Doc Muhlbaier

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Minhtrang wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you.

There's no reason to think that a model based upon quintiles (in which you are throwing away data) will produce the same result as a model based upon the continuous variable (where you are not throwing away data). In fact, if you have the continuous variable values, I can't really think of a reason why you'd even want to use quintiles in place of the continuous data ... I doubt you could justify this to a reviewer or professor.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation