BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Senthilnathan_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have few questions regarding the "User defined Functions and sub-routine" in SAS.

1.      Is  any diffrence between SAS macros and User defined functions?

2.     what are the advantages and disadvantages or limits  in "user defined sas functions and subroutines"?

3.     how to efficiently use this in Clinical trials?

Thanks in advance.

Senthilnathan

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

1: Yes there is lot's of difference between a macro and a sas function. A macro generates text that is interpretted by SAS as instructions. The macro could do something such as call an external program with parameters, send results of procedures to documents, read external data files, log on to remote data servers and perform various actions. A user defined function using PROC FCMP is more of a computational function callable by data steps and a limited number of other procs.

2: The major advantage I see to user defined functions is to make code simpler to read especially in the case of functions that may take lots of code. The main disadvantage is portability. You need to remember to provide the function code as well as a specific program. If you forget that you may have an unuseable program.

3: don't do clinical trials so I won't respond.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation