BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello Guys,
I have a zip file that gets generated with all excel reports zipped-
up... which I want to store it into the db as a blob.

Is there a way to insert external file as blob datatype in to SQL
Server Database using SAS?
Any ideas ??

Raj
4 REPLIES 4
Florent
Quartz | Level 8
Up.

I have the same question but regarding an Excel file to be stored in an Oracle database.

Thank you in advance & Regards,
Florent
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
SAS and SAS/ACCESS does not support BLOB data type. BLOB will be 32K char by default in SAS. So, to load SQL Server and Oracle you have to use native SQL/DB commands. It is possible though to do that through SAS SQL pass-thru syntax using EXECUTE (....) BY ORACLE; But then, you are just using SAS as a DB client for SQL edit and query.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
Florent
Quartz | Level 8
Ok, thanks for the information.

What I can't get is how to specify which physical file to store in the BLOB field.
Would you know how to do it by using a PL/SQL procedure (as it's not possible directly with SAS) ?

Does that mean than the Oracle database has to be stored on the same server or at least be able to access to the folder in which the file is stored ?

Thanks again for helping me.

Florent
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
These are quite Oracle specific questions you have. I suggest that you contact any available Oracle DBA/developer at your site to resolve your issue. But not a too wild guess is yes, Oracle probably has to be able to access you input data to be able to store it in the DB.

/Linus
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation