BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
WAL83
Obsidian | Level 7
Is there a way in SAS to search for specific text in a variable and if found set a flag to 1. I am currently trying to determine if records in my dataset contain the text "TBI Screening". I can do this in MS Access with criteria [Like "*TBI Screening*"] and it works. Just wondering if you can do similar in SAS. The variable used in the search is called note and can contain up to 32000+ characters. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Olivier
Pyrite | Level 9
Check the INDEX, INDEXW and (more flexible but more complicated to write) PRXMATCH functions.
They all return a positive number when the string is found, else a zero. So you can build :
[pre]
flag = (INDEX(note, "TBI Screening") > 0) ;
[/pre]
This FLAG variable will be 1 or 0.
WAL83
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for the info. I was out of town or would have gotten back sooner.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation