ID Group Visit Number Potassium
1 1 01 23
1 1 02 0
1 1 03 100
2 2 01 5
2 2 02 355
2 2 03 100
........and so on.

I would like to compare the means of potassium for the two treatment groups, taking into account the multiple visits (this is where the repeated measures comes in). How do I do this in SAS? Mixed and GLM assume normality and my data are not normal. What kind of test can I use? Please provide examples.

Thank you very much!
1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
If you really want to compare means, you are in the world of parametric statistics. Most of the non-parametric tests examine medians or other characteristics of the distribution.

Friedman's 2-way analysis of variance can handle some types of repeated measures without assuming normality. I'm not sure whether or where it is in SAS.

If you have enough data, you could convert the outcomes to ranks and rely on the central limit theorem to support conclusions based on a parametric analysis.

You might also be able to use a variance stabilizing transformation and apply the parametric methods.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation