BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vasantparab0
Calcite | Level 5

We are able to read SAS file in dot net with installation of SAS universal viewer 9.4.

But Is it possible to read SAS dataset without installing any SAS software? If yes how is it possible.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

SAS datasets and catalogs are proprietary file formats.  To do something like this you would need to know the binary format and implement a reader for them, and to do that you would need a license.  If you have a SAS licence then contact SAS support as I believe Chris Hemedinger has at least a basic working version of this (EG in this instance):

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/customtasks/book/

http://www.sas.com/storefront/aux/en/spcustomtaskseg/61874_excerpt.pdf

So there is some interoperability.

Also, I know there are R packages that can read SAS files.

You could of course store your data in open source text files, such as CSV/XML which would then be available to any system on any platform and be human readable as well, this was avoiding a lot of the pitfalls of proprietary file formats entirely.

vasantparab0
Calcite | Level 5

To give more details about the requirement:

I got the task to extract data from a sas7bdat-file,without any SAS product installaion on our system.

Could anyone please tell me, if (and how) it is possible to read data from remotely (over network) saved sas7bdat files?

Is a installation of SAS related any product necessary? If yes, which product?

Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation