BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am new to SAS and running into a road block concerning Cumulative Incidence. In a nutshell I have a data set for cancer patient that recived trasplant. We are looking for engraftment data but need to control for those that failed to engraft by a certain day due to death. The data set I am using is censored on the following:

Fields being used are:
ANC500 (Days from Transplant to Engraftment)
ANC_Censor (Did they Engraft)
CensDth (Did they Die)
Cens_ANC28 (Did they die by day28)

Censor Fields:

ANC_Censor (1=Yes 0=No)

On those that did not engraft (0):
Dead Yes = 1
Dead No = 0

On those that are Dead (1)
Death LTE 28 Days = 1
Death GT 28 Days = 0

I am trying to use Phreg but not sure what to put after the = sign in:

Model anc500*Cens_ANC500(0) = ??

The time on this is days from Transplant to Engraftment, and I need to censor on those that did not engraft by 28 days becasue they died in that time period.

I hope that makes sense. Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
First, you've got a set-up problem on the left.

With PHREG, the first variable is the days until something happened. The second variable is whether what happened was a censoring event or a real event. So your ANC500 needs to be restructured to combine the dates to engraftment with days to death and days to last follow-up (or declaration of failure to engraft). Then your Cens_ANC500 can have multiple codes representing the different conditions at the end.

Because you have (at least) three endpoints, you have a competing risks situation and need to either do a multiple event model or a sensitivity analysis (combining different event types).

It may be conceptually easier to reframe your model to have the outcome of interest being "failure to engraft" and then you just censor on engraftment. Censoring on death often leads to a "waiting time bias" that needs to be carefully evaluated (See the article by Mitch Gail about the Stanford Heart Transplant data (Annals of Internal medicine, 1972) for the classic example.).

On the right of the = go the candidate explanatory variables, age, sex, etc.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation