BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am working in the Clinical Data dept of a company. I started learning SAS very recently, as the team is asking me to do so. All they want from me is efficiency in data step processing and some knowledge of analyses.

Can someone guide me explicitely where I should start from and the topics covered, so that I can start working efficiently without further delay and bothering other team members all the time!!!

Thank you very much.

Cathy
4 REPLIES 4
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi Cathy,

I would suggest that you go on a SAS basic training course as efficiency in data step processing comes from experience.

Good Luck.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you very much for the advice.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Good references for efficiency are

"professional SAS programming shortcuts" by Rick Aster and

"Mastering the SAS sytem" by Jaffe

I think that both are available from the SAS Pubs web site; otherwise, try Amazon.com.

Doc
sassygrl
Calcite | Level 5
Once you are familiar with the data step, a good suggestion for improving your efficiency would be learning Proc SQL. I'm guessing you work with very large databases; SQL can accomplish tasks in one step that would take several steps (and much more time) using only data steps and proc sort.

The SAS Institute puts out some very helpful user's guides for learning their procedures. It's how I learned SQL. I know people who have found "The Little SAS Book" very helpful. Also, know your way around the Online Doc. I can get most of my questions answered there before I start asking others.

You will be HIGHLY valued in your department (and appreciated among statisticians) with your knowledge of SAS!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation