BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear all,

I'm now handling with longitudinal data analysis.

I want to build up a joint model of survival and mixed effect model, but I haven't found an available SAS program for this issue.

My outcome variable is Hypertension (value 0 1), covariates are composition of both categorical and continuous vars. Most of them are measured yearly for 5 times.

Is there anybody having experience with this statistical method and SAS program or macro for this analysis?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Trang,

I'm pretty rusty on time-dependent covariates, so I can just refer you to, say, Paul Allison's BBU on survival analysis.

I can comment on treating sodium as continous versus quantiles.  If a predictor is reasonalby linear in the hazard space, it will be a better predictor than quantiles for a couple of reasons.  For one, with more granularity in the measure, you can get better estimates.  The second is that you are not really looking at quantiles as a test; you are looking at a 4-level categorial data and that dilutes the effect.  I'm not sure how you can test for monotonicity.  You could test for linear or quadratic effects, but that takes additional assumptions on the quantiles that may not be supported by the data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Looking at your previous query, the granularity of the data (time recorded in whole years) might allow you to do the analysis completely in PROC MIXED.

That said, I'm not sure that a longitudinal data analysis is appropriate for hypertension as an outcome.  For "essential" hypertension (i.e. the common type that adults acquire), once the medical diagnosis is made, it continues for the person's lifetime.  The hypertension may be in control, but the diagnosis stays.  In that case, diagnosis and time to diagnosis are appropriate for a survival analysis (though the huge number of ties will reduce the power).

If your true outcome variable is "blood pressure in control", then a longitudinal analysis may be appropriate.

Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Doc_Duke,

Thank you very much for your reply. I agree with you. Can I ask you some more questions?

1. If I use Cox model with time-dependent covariates (for instance,  Sodium is my main interest as a predictor for hypertension, and it varies over time so I want to use the most recent measure of sodium, i.e measure at the time of censor or incident hypertension, in my model), is there any differences in the interpretation of this model compared to the standard Cox model (using baseline value of covariates)?
  2. Another problem for my Cox model is that when I treat Sodium as a continuous variable (in grams), the results is highly significant.But when it's put into the model as quartiles, the results become no more significant across categories of quartiles, with lowest quartile as a references (Q2 vs Q1, Q3 vs Q1, Q4 vs Q1). How can we explain for this issue?

Thank you very much for your support.

Trang

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Trang,

I'm pretty rusty on time-dependent covariates, so I can just refer you to, say, Paul Allison's BBU on survival analysis.

I can comment on treating sodium as continous versus quantiles.  If a predictor is reasonalby linear in the hazard space, it will be a better predictor than quantiles for a couple of reasons.  For one, with more granularity in the measure, you can get better estimates.  The second is that you are not really looking at quantiles as a test; you are looking at a 4-level categorial data and that dilutes the effect.  I'm not sure how you can test for monotonicity.  You could test for linear or quadratic effects, but that takes additional assumptions on the quantiles that may not be supported by the data.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation