BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5
Hi ,

I want to put a Alpha symbol in dataset how to present , i tried using the Byte(224) , but i am not getting the alpha symbol.

How to store the alpha symbol in character variable?

Thanks

Sudhakar
11 REPLIES 11
SPR
Quartz | Level 8 SPR
Quartz | Level 8
Hello Sudhakar_A,

What are you trying to accomplish? I used BYTE(224) and got the following result:
[pre]
data a;
x=BYTE(224);
y=BYTE(65);
put x= y=;
run;
[/pre]
In the LOG:
[pre]
x=à y=A
[/pre]
Is this what you need?
Sincerely,
SPR
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5
Hi SPR,

I want alpha symbol should be presented as it is in the dataset.

Thanks

Sudhakar
SPR
Quartz | Level 8 SPR
Quartz | Level 8
The following program outputs all available letters, digits ans symbols:
[pre]
data a;
do i=0 to 255;
s=BYTE(i);
output;
end;
run;
[/pre]
I ran it om my computer. the output does not contain the alpha character. Your result could be different because characters 127-255 depend on character set used.
SPR
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5
Hi SPR,

Forgot about my way of approach, can please you tell me how to bring the alpha symbol in the dataset?

Thanks

Sudhakar
SPR
Quartz | Level 8 SPR
Quartz | Level 8
How are you going to use a variable contaning greek letters? May be you need them only for titles, axis , etc? For example, for Title you can use the following code:
[pre]
ods escapechar="^";
title "Greek letter ^{unicode 03B1}";
data a;
a=1;
run;
proc print data=a;
run;
[/pre]
that prints greek alpha in the title;
SPR
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

I dont want to print but to store the symbol in the dataset.

Thanks

Sudhakar
raveena
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Sudhakar,

Can you please provide us an example how your dataset needs to generate?

Thanks
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Raveena,

Any way is ok, Datalines, infile, or import, anything is ok for me, but i want the alpha character in the dataset, and i want to submit the dataset with alpha symbol to client.

I want to create a text variable in the dataset with alpha character

Thanks

Sudhakar Message was edited by: Sudhakar_A
raveena
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Sudhakar,

I am not sure what exactly you are expecting in the dataset.If you need to create a
new variable with alpha characters then you can use the below code,

data test;
input name $ age ;
datalines;
abc 23
fgh 6
;
run;

data test1;
set test;
alpha ="A";
run;

The example above illustrates creating a new character variable named “alpha” which contains the letter “A” for all observations in the dataset. Note that the value must be enclosed either in single or double-quotes, because this is a character variable. (alpha ="A";)

Thanks
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Raveena,

Thanks for that. I dont want a variable name as alpha in the dataset but, i want a variable which holds the greek alpha character symbol as a value in the observation.

Thanks

Sudhakar
RickM
Fluorite | Level 6
It is possible to use UTF-16 encoding and the hexadecimal code ( var='03b1'x; ) but there is no way to ensure that it will appear correctly for someone else. I would suggest contacting tech support to see if they have a solution.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation