BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi guys... so glad I found this board.

I need help with a matched case-control study. I had an outcome of interest 'TMC' and matched 1 case of 'TMC' to 2 controls by age. Now, I want to analyse with SAS to see whether variables of interest are different (2-sided) in cases vs. controls. The data is non-parametric, non-symmetrical for the most part.

'TMC' is the condition (case=1, control=0), 'daysadmit' is the continuous variable

For the continuous variables, I used the following code:

PROC GLM DATA = descriptive ;
CLASS match tmc ;
MODEL daysadmit = tmc match(tmc);
MEANS tmc;
RUN;

Is this correct? Do I need to look at the p-value for match(tmc), or do I need that nested variable in there at all? Or, is sufficient to have 'match' in the class statement and only have daysadmit=tmc as the model?
Also, is there any value to putting in this statment:
TEST H = tmc E = match(tmc);

For the categorical variables I used:

data binomial;
set descriptive;
if TMC=0 then status=2;
if TMC=1 then status=1;
if TMC=1 then censor=1;
if TMC=0 then censor=0;
run;

proc phreg data=binomial;
model status*censor(0)= fever /ties=discrete risklimits;
strata match;
run;

Where I made status=1 controls, status=2 cases (of toxic megacolon), censor=0 controls, censor=1 cases.

The problem here is that the numbers are strange. I want to see whether the frequency of a bunch of variables is different in the case group from the control group. The the predictor variable listed above ('fever'), 90% of the case group ('TMC') had fever while 25% of the control group had fever. Using the above program, I get a p of 0.026. With leukocytosis 'leuko' as the predictor, 80% of the case group had leukocytosis while 5 % of the control group had leukocytosis. It looks like it should be significant, but I get a p value of 0.996.

HELP! Can someone help me with what to do?
1 REPLY 1
statsplank
Calcite | Level 5
You have one case matched with two controls - from your description I understand the variable "match" shows who is matched with who, and the variable "TMC" shows who is the case and who is the control.

If your variable of interest "daysadmit" is approximately normal, then to compare cases and controls run the following code:

proc mixed data=descriptive;
class match TMC;
model daysadmit=TMC/solutions;
random match;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation