BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Good morning,
I have a scenario where i have been given a correlation matrix and in it i have many of the missing data. I would like to seek all of your help to please help me to figure out how could i do my best estimate in predicting those missing values in my correlation matrix.
I also would like to add that the correlation matrix contains non normalized data.
I have read SAS publication and i saw it offers an multiple imputation method for dealing with missing data. My question is :
1) Is IM dealing with only normalized data, but in my case, the matrix contains non normalized data.
2) Is IM only dealing with missing data, but in my case, I don't have a simple case of missing data, I have missing correlation coefficient in a correlation matrix. So could i use IM?

Thanks alot for all of your help,
Minh
5 REPLIES 5
statsplank
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Minh,

Correlation matrix is a simetric matrix. Do you have the same missing values on both sides of the main diagonal?
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The SAS PROC MI works only with missing data in the data table, it won't help you if you are starting with a correlation matrix and do not have the originating data. In fact, I don't think that there is a way to impute the missing correlations without the raw data.

If you have the raw data, then PROC MI can impute the missing data. It makes assumptions about the mechanism for the missingness (see the documentation for a discussion of that), but none about the underlying distribution in the data.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation